New members sign this covenant when they choose to become members of the congregation.
We, the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Cookeville family, establish this covenant, rooted in our shared values, to ensure those values are upheld. These are the promises we make to each other regarding how we are to be when we are together.
I value Community, therefore I promise to:
- use criticism rarely, constructively and kindly
- maintain teamwork and cooperation be engaged with others in a positive way
- be respectful and empathetic of each other even in disagreement
- support the church with my time as I am able
- take responsibility for advancing the goals of the community
- share the uplifting message of our Congregation
- provide a spiritually nurturing environment
- focus on the intent of our actions and less on rigid rule enforcement
- not tolerate destructive or dangerous behavior
I value Diversity, therefore I promise to
- be welcoming and inclusive
- be open to the ideas of others
- treat everyone with compassion, tolerance and respect
- be sensitive and caring toward others
- be respectful and empathetic of the differing beliefs of others
- support individuality
- let others do things differently
I value a Hopeful Outlook, therefore I promise to
- share joy with others
- maintain an uplifting atmosphere with fun, love and laughter
- represent the Congregation in a positive light
- address sorrows with sensitivity and caring
I value Honesty, Compassion, Respect and Courage, therefore I promise to
- listen carefully and thoughtfully to others
- speak directly, truthfully and respectfully to others when in disagreement
- delay judgment of situations and people that annoy me
- revise this covenant when it no longer supports our shared values
- call each other back to covenant when we stray from our promises.
These values we carry in our hearts.